About Me

My photo
I'm single, mom by adoption to Yan and Mady. They are the sunshine in my life. Yan happens to be chromosomally enhanced (has Down Syndrome) and keeps me hopping on a daily basis. Mady was born as a 1 lb., 12 oz micro premie and has beat all odds. She is curious and busy! We are a homeschooling family and would love to expand our family again someday. I am a grateful Child of the King and am learning more daily about what it means to be free in Christ. Professionally, I'm a Speech-Language Pathologist by trade...but I took time away to get Yan and Mady stable and have enjoyed running estores online. I am beginning my own practice again on a part-time basis and am excited to start working with children again.

Thursday, January 8, 2015

Gemiini

So, it took me about a year and a half to post again.  Hmmmm.  Life is a roller coaster ride, my friends.  I feel like my roller coaster has been going warp speed.  So many things have happened; but things are finally calming down (I hope) and I intend on working on this blog, accompanied by demonstration videos on You Tube.  Stay tuned for more details.

Today I want to introduce a new program to you, it is called, "Geniini".  https://gemiini.org/ Gemiini was created by a mom, Laura Kasbar, a parent of twins with autism.  It is a video subscription service that includes over 12,000 videos for your child to watch that are Discreet Video Modeling; designed to teach speech and language skills.  These videos include many research based tools for language acquisiton and mastery.  The first thing they include is repetition.  You can watch the videos over and over again.  Our kiddos with special needs need REPETITION!  I repeat, our kiddos with special needs need REPETITION!

The videos feature a slower pace than some of our typical conversations.  One of the first things that I have to tell parents is to SLOW DOWN.  We live in a fast-paced society.  We want everything quickly.  But when you have a child who is struggling to master speech, language and learning concepts, you need to slow down.

The videos also feature a close up of mouths, showing the correct articulation of sounds.  They also often feature the word and/or the sign.  These are amazing tools for showing the child how the sound is made.  It gives them visuals that they may need to process and produce the sound.

Though these videos were originally made for children with autism, they are working exceptionally well for children with Down Syndrome and other delays.  Some children take to them right away.  Others do not like them.  The creator recommends having your child begin to watch them during mealtimes.  This gives a set beginning and end to the activity and also creates a predictable routine.  Even though your child may not like them, they still may learn.  The creator also recommends using the program consistently for at least six months.

Along with the speech and language component (begins with words, goes up to complex phrases, questions and sentences), there is a reading program alone with visual processing.  The standard pricing for the program is $98/month.  However, they are offering financial assistance based on income that can range from $10-$59.  When you consider that a regular Speech-Language therapy session can run $100+ for an hour, this is a real bargain.  This enables you to do an unlimited number of sessions per month.

I thought that my daughter, age 13 with Down Syndrome, might be too old.  However, she has severe apraxia and is around 6 years old cognitively.  I was AMAZED at how well she liked the videos.  She was fascinated with them, attentive and quickly started attempting approximations.

Overall, I'm thoroughly impressed so far.  I encourage you to check it out and give it try.  There are no contracts or commitments, so you can cancel anytime.  It just may be one key to unlocking more of your child's potential.  Blessings,

Jenn the Speech Teach

No comments:

Post a Comment